What's written here are my own thoughts. If you disagree with it, be professional and click the red X on the top right hand side. Please don't spam my C-box with vulgarities.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009 @ 00:32
*
I'm reverting back to my old blog skin until I can either fix the problem or find another blog skin to change to. Too long never use/blog already. Everything also forget how to do.
National day has passed. What I saw during the national day has really opened my eyes. I saw Singaporeans leaving halfway in between chapter 5 and 6. That would be about 1955, 30 mins before the whole thing finished. Around 20+ of them left between then and the finale. As a "performer" myself, do you know how pissing it is if you sacrifice every Saturday you had for 2 months and for my unit's case, Friday too just practising the same thing over and over again until we perfected it just to put on a show for the nation? 1) It doesn't show any of the performers respect. 2) What kind of Singaporean are you if you leave before the whole show is over during the ACTUAL day when you are one of the lucky few who managed to get a ticket?? If you just wanted the damn goodie bag which really isn't all that great, why don't you just give your ticket to someone who wanted to watch the show but might not be interested in the goodie bag at all?
Another thing that really opened my eyes was this woman. I think she's a PR. She was Eurasian and had an accent so I guess she's either a PR or a citizen. From where I was stationed, I saw that she was having much more fun then all the other people around me. Never mind that her seat was somewhere far to the left and almost right at the top, that didn't stop her from having fun with her family and singing along with the songs and mind you, they weren't those songs from chapter 6, they were the songs from chapter 10, the "patriotic" songs. And all the while, there was this Singaporean refusing to get his ass off the chair and join in when they were "requested" to. Whose the real Singaporean?
1 last thing before I go to sleep. How many of you, dear readers, if you are even reading this, actually bothered to stand still at 2022, put your right hand above your heart and recite the 30 sec pledge along with the nation or those that bothered? I did, but you can say that that was because I was at the parade itself and it would look bad on me if I didn't do it. My family did, my extended family too. They were at my cousin's house watching the parade. Did you? Or perhaps you were 1) Too busy to care. 2) No one else is doing it so you didn't want to embarass yourself. 3) Just couldn't be bothered. Let me ask you: 1) Were you that busy till you couldn't just stop what you were doing for 30 secs? 2) Why didn't you be the unique one to do it? 3) Are you a Singaporean? Ask yourself this. And for that matter, how many of us actual bother hanging the Singapore flag outside our window for this day?
I'm not a patriotic person. But what I saw at NDP was just disgusting considering that this is the nation's birthday after all. At the very least, I know the pledge and National anthem by heart and have the courtesy to stop whatever I'm doing and salute the flag when the national anthem starts.